More Thanksgiving Shopping, Less Thanksgiving Dinner
At least, it used to be.
This year, more Americans are opting to spend Thanksgiving getting ready for Christmas. That is, they're spending it resting up for that other big November holiday -- Black Friday.
The discount website PromotionalCodes.com, along with Harris Interactive, confirmed that slightly disturbing trend in a survey detailing what Americans are actually doing Thanksgiving Day.Black Friday or plugging in the laptop or tablet to wallow in some serious holiday shopping. All told, 32 million consumers changing their Thanksgiving habits for Black Friday, with 26% saying they will hit at least one bricks-and-mortar store on the Friday after Thanksgiving and another 25% say they will go shopping online, according to the survey. The 32 million figure is a startling jump from the 13.9 million people who were reported as in stores shopping by 8 p.m. Thanksgiving Day, although 39% were in stores by midnight, based on National Retail Federation figures. The average holiday shopper will spend $737.95 (including presents, a tree, decorations, greeting cards and parties), which actually is 2% less than last year. "Black Friday shopping has become a huge part of American culture during the Thanksgiving holiday, and with more consumers shopping online, retailers have adapted to reflect great savings on their websites as well," says Regina Novickis, a consumer savings specialist at Promotionalcodes.com. "Many Americans are now taking advantage of Black Friday savings from the comfort of their own homes as opposed to battling the crowds the day after Thanksgiving." data from Accenture. It might even threatening to supplant Thanksgiving as the biggest holiday in November -- at least for shoppers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV