By Jessica Herndon
Superheroes continue to defeat their foes at the box office.
Disney's (DIS) Thor: The Dark World, earning $86.1 million, dominated the weekend box office as it opened domestically at No. 1, according to studio estimates Sunday.
Starring Chris Hemsworth, the Marvel superhero sequel earned $109.4 million when it opened internationally last weekend and brought in $180.1 million globally. Overall, it has grossed $327 million worldwide.In limited theaters Thursday evening, Thor: The Dark World brought in $7.1 million overnight. Surpassing the ticket sales of Thor, which scored $65.7 million when it opened in May 2011, Thor: The Dark World marks a record for a Disney November opening, topping the $70.5 million The Incredibles earned in 2004. Paramount's (VIA) hidden-camera comedy Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa held the second-place slot at the box office for the second successive weekend, earning $11.3 million during its third weekend, with a domestic total reaching more than $78 million. Relativity Media's 3-D animated movie Free Birds, soared into third place with $11.1 million in its second weekend. CBS Films' (CBS) Last Vegas, featuring an all-star cast including Michael Douglas, Robert De Niro, Morgan Freeman and Kevin Kline, took fourth place in its second weekend. Last weekend's box office champ, the sci-fi Ender's Game, starring Harrison Ford, Asa Butterfield and Viola Davis, dropped to fifth place in its second weekend. Expanding to 1,144 theaters in its fourth week, possible Oscar contender 12 Years a Slave brought in an impressive $6.6 million over the weekend at No. 7.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV