NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Doug Kass of Seabreeze Partners is known for his accurate stock market calls and keen insights into the economy, which he shares with RealMoney Pro readers in his daily trading diary.
Among the posts this past week were entries about the meaning of the payroll report and some Twitter nonsense.
Please click here for information about subscribing to RealMoney Pro.
Parsing the Economic Data
Originally published on Friday, Nov. 8 at 10:17 a.m. EDT. The October payroll report was much stronger than expected in terms of the establishment survey, up 204,000 vs. expectations of 120,000. The household survey was weak, though, showing a drop of 735,000. This could have been distorted by the government shutdown. The strong/stronger establishment payroll number for October has caused a selloff in Treasuries, a big lift in the U.S. dollar and, for a few minutes, a whoosh lower in S&P futures. Though I still think the market could have a somewhat lower bias over the near term, I covered a lot of my market index shorts into that whoosh and have returned to a market-neutral mode.
- The government shutdown could have distorted the data.
- One month's data should not importantly impact the Fed.
- The unemployment rate remains high/above Fed target.
- Inflation at 1.3% remains well below the Fed target.
- I think the Fed will need to see the November payroll report at a minimum, released in early December, before making any tapering decision, suggesting January as the soonest to start tapering.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV