Texas Students Win Regional Siemens Competition At The University Of Texas At Austin For Research On Cancer Therapy And Vaccine Development
"Their innovative approach bridges two disparate disciplines that may one day yield a new class of powerful vaccines for treating devastating human diseases," said competition judge Dr. Ilya Finkelstein, assistant professor, Molecular Biosciences, The University of Texas at Austin. "The students' command of their research project and the broader scientific aims is on par with that of advanced graduate students. This work may one day stand on its own as an important contribution to usher in a new era of vaccine development."
Alyssa is the secretary and three-time all-region member of the Highlander String Orchestra and a Decathlete in the Academic Decathalon. Her deep-seated interest in biology sparked her desire to become a gastroenterologist.
Shriya is heavily involved in the arts with key roles in her honors choir, the school's annual musical, and Indian classical music and dance performances. She also participates in her high school's robotics club and tutors in reading and math. Shriya aspires to a career in medicine or technology.
The team's mentor is Dr.
Jinming Gao, professor, Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center,
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas.
- Stacy Ho, Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science, Denton, Texas
- Silin Li, Vestavia Hills High School, Vestavia Hills, Ala.
- William Ou, Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science, Denton, Texas
- Piper Reid, Dripping Springs High School, Dripping Springs, Texas
- Jia-Uei Chen, C. Leon King High School, Tampa, Fla.; Patrick Guo, Westwood High School, Austin, Texas; and Jessica Yu, Westwood High School, Austin, Texas
- Angeline Rao, William P. Clements High School, Sugar Land, Texas; Vinciane Chen, Westwood High School, Austin, Texas; and Alexander Yang, William P. Clements High School, Sugar Land, Texas
- Shaayaan Sayed, Dulles High School, Sugar Land, Texas; and Bassel Saleh, Dulles High School, Sugar Land, Texas
- Evan Shegog, Bellaire High School, Bellaire, Texas; and Joshua Wang, Bellaire High School, Bellaire, Texas
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV