Brazil's OSX To Seek Bankruptcy Protection
By STAN LEHMAN
SAO PAULO (AP) a¿¿ OSX Brasil S.A, the shipbuilding company of Brazil's one-time richest man Eike Batista, said Friday evening it will file for bankruptcy protection in a Rio de Janeiro court.
The company said on its website that its board of directors agreed Friday to file for bankruptcy protection and that a special meeting of shareholders will be held on Nov. 28 to ratify the decision.
Ten days ago, Batista's OGX oil company filed for bankruptcy protection after it failed to reach an agreement to delay payment to holders of $3.6 billion in bonds.According to Vanessa Guerra, an OSX press officer, the shipbuilding company owes the equivalent of $2.3 billion to state and private banks as well as to suppliers. If the court accepts OSX's request, the company will have 60 days to come up with a restructuring plan. Creditors will then have 180 days to decide if they accept the plans. For Adriano Pires, one of Brazil's top energy analysts, the OGX and OSX bankruptcy protection filings hurt Brazil's image overseas "at a time when the country needs to attract investments for its oil industry as well as for infrastructure projects like highways, airports, ports, and railways." He said that in the minds of foreign investors, the OSX and OGX filings increased their "uncertainty and their fears of the rising risks involved in investing in the country." Cassia Pontes, an oil industry analyst with the Rio-based Lopes Filho e Associados consulting firm, has said that OSX was in a "very worrisome" situation because it was created to supply oil tankers and platforms to Batista's petroleum concern." "This was the company's business plan and it started collapsing when it was learned that OGX's oil production had fallen short of expectations," she said, adding that OSX depended on Batista's oil company for "most if not all of its revenue. They are like conjoined twins."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV