Another biodiesel player that's starting to move within range of triggering a big breakout trade is KiOR (KIOR), which is a next-generation renewable fuels company, producing cellulosic gasoline and diesel from abundant non-food biomass. This stock has been trashed by the bears so far in 2013, with shares off by 62%.
If you look at the chart for KiOR, you'll notice that this stock has been trending sideways and consolidating for the last month, with shares moving between $2.06 on the downside and $3.10 on the upside. Shares of KIOR are now starting to spike higher right above its 50-day moving average of $2.20 a share, and it's quickly moving within range of triggering a big breakout trade above the upper-end of its recent sideways trading chart pattern.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in KIOR if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $2.54 to $2.62 a share, and then once it takes out more near-term overhead resistance levels at $2.87 to $3.10 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 882,812 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then KIOR will set up to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at its 200-day moving average of $4.05 to $5 a share. Traders can look to buy KIOR off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below its 50-day at $2.20 a share, or around its recent low of $2.06 a share. One can also buy KIOR off strength once it takes out that breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV