One newspaper player that's quickly moving within range of triggering a big breakout trade is Media General (MEG), which is a provider of news, information and entertainment across 18 network-affiliated television stations, digital media and mobile platforms, serving consumers and advertisers in strong local markets, primarily in the Southeastern U.S. This stock has been on fire so far in 2013, with shares up a whopping 253%.
If you take a look at the chart for Media General, you'll notice that this stock is spiking higher right above its 50-day moving average of $13.57 a share. That 50-day for MEG has held as support for the last five months. This spike is quickly pushing shares of MEG within range of entering breakout and new 52-week-high territory.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in MEG if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $15.39 to its 52-week high at $15.67 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 188,023 shares. If that breakout hits soon, then MEG will set up to enter new 52-week-high territory, which is bullish technical price action. Some possible upside targets off that breakout are $20 to $23 a share. Traders can look to buy MEG off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below its 50-day at $13.57 a share. One can also buy MEG off strength once it takes out those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV