NEW YORK (TheStreet -- Veterans Day is celebrated every Nov. 11 and has been every year since 1918, except for a few years from 1971 through 1977 when the date of observance was moved. Veterans Day honors Americans that have served in the country's armed forces and the date is significant in that World War I ended at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918.
In 1968, a law ensuring three-day weekends for federal holidays was passed and moved Veterans Day to the last Monday in October. The law was enacted in 1971. The significance of the Nov. 11 date however raised ire and confusion around the country, particularly among many still-living World War I vets. Some states disregarded the October holiday and maintained the traditional date. In 1975, President Ford signed a law returning Veterans Day to its traditional Nov. 11 observance nationwide. That law was enacted in 1978.
Some celebrate the day with parades; stores offer bargains and some restaurants give veterans discounts. However, while most veterans appreciate the recognition of a parade and a free meal, a job is even better. The following companies are noteworthy for being military friendly. Victory Media, a vet-owned business, compiled a list of these companies with MilitaryFriendly.com.
"Our Military Friendly Employers constitute those companies who are actually moving the needle and hiring from the military community," said Sean Collins, vice president for Victory Media and a nine-year Navy veteran. "The 2014 Military Friendly Employers ® reported hiring over 117,000 service members and spouses over the last 12 months, representing an average of 14% of total new hires. This isn't a pledge, it's an update of ongoing hiring activities."Eight of those employers, listed below, are also in the Dow Jones Industrial Average index, making them the most military-friendly of the Dow companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV