Updated from 10:00 a.m. EST to provide initial thoughts on the service in the fifth paragraph.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Gogo (GOGO) allows a passenger to access the Internet while he's on an airplane. Gogo is unveiling Friday its new Text & Talk technology, which allows users to send text messages and make phone calls using a smartphone, all while 30,000 feet in the air.
The instructions are simple enough to follow. Here are some screen shots to show what users can expect from the app:"Gogo Text & Talk is just one more way Gogo is keeping airline passengers connected to their lives on the ground," said Ash ElDifrawi, Gogo's chief marketing officer, in a press release. "While we see this as more of a text messaging product for commercial airlines in the United States, the phone functionality is something that some international air carriers and our business aviation customers are asking for." Earlier this morning, Gogo invited me to try out the service. It works as advertised, with a few small drawbacks. In my experience, I texted a few people, but the return text messages showed up in iMessage, not in the app itself. The sound quality and functionality is the same as your regular iOS or Android device, but you can not talk and text at the same time, as you can on certain smartphones. In an interview on the flight, Gogo Vice President of Product Brad Jaehn said the app was not yet available for Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows Phone, but that it was more likely to get one than BlackBerry (BBRY). The new Text & Talk service is part of the reason Evercore analyst Jonathan Schildkraut raised his price target to $20 from $15, keeping an "overweight" rating. Gogo is slated to report quarterly earnings on Nov. 11. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expect the company to lose 31 cents a share on $76.8 million in revenue. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV