IBM researchers developed the app with which small businesses can upload slogans and messages for their advertisements and are now looking at how to use analytics to create spin off business opportunities such as business registries.
"We want to learn from Africa and tap into the continent's appetite for innovation," said Nik Nesbitt, Country General Manager, East Africa. "The work of IBM Research – Africa is not just about science and technology, it is also about innovating new business models and partnering with local enterprises to ensure that our new solutions have the maximum impact on business and society."
IBM Research - Africa joins existing labs in Australia, Brazil, China, India, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Switzerland and the United States. IBM Research laboratories are credited with the creation of many of the foundations of information technology, including the invention of the relational database, disk storage, DRAM memory and more recently the Watson computing system which used cognitive technologies to compete alongside humans in a major television quiz show. Watson is today being used by healthcare and financial service providers around the world to augment human knowledge and deliver better quality services. IBM Research has been recognized with five Nobel Prize Laureates, and many leading scientific and technical medals and awards.
Additional ContentTo view a film about Africa's grand challenges and opportunities and the role of IBM Research - Africa, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsOj-lLKm2ETo download images of the lab and its staff, go to: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibm_research_zurich/sets/72157636678705025/ To join the social conversation include the hashtag #ibmresearch or #ibmafrica
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV