- Backlog increased 7.4% to a record $672.8 million on project awards of $272.3 million
- Quarterly revenues increased 7.9% to $226.2 million compared to $209.6 million a year earlier
- Gross margins improved to 11.3% compared to 10.6% a year earlier
- First quarter fully diluted earnings per share was $0.25 compared to $0.18 in the same period a year earlier
TULSA, Okla., Nov. 7, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Matrix Service Company (Nasdaq:MTRX) today reported its financial results for the first quarter ended September 30, 2013. The trend of strong revenue and backlog growth continued in the first quarter of fiscal 2014 with quarterly revenues of $226.2 million and record period end backlog of $672.8 million.
John Hewitt, President and CEO of Matrix Service Company said, "Our overall opportunities in the markets we serve continue to be strong as evidenced by our record backlog and strengthening margins. We are pleased with our first quarter results and are confident that our strategic investments are providing solid business performance. In addition, our record liquidity position provides us with the necessary resources for strategic investments and acquisitions."
Financial ResultsRevenues for the first quarter ended September 30, 2013 were $226.2 million compared to $209.6 million in the same period a year earlier, an increase of $16.6 million, or 7.9%. Net income for the first quarter of fiscal 2014 was $6.6 million, or $0.25 per fully diluted share. In the same period a year earlier, the Company earned $4.7 million, or $0.18 per fully diluted share. Revenues increased in our Industrial and Storage Solutions segments by $17.7 million and $3.9 million, respectively. Revenues in the Oil Gas & Chemical segment declined by $4.6 million and Electrical Infrastructure revenues were $32.9 million compared to $33.3 million a year earlier. Gross margins were 11.3% in the first quarter of fiscal 2014 versus 10.6% in the first quarter of fiscal 2013. Consolidated gross profit was $25.5 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2014 compared to $22.2 million in the same period a year earlier due to higher revenues and higher gross margins. Selling, general and administrative costs were $14.7 million, or 6.5% of revenue, in the first quarter of fiscal 2014 compared to $14.3 million, or 6.8% of revenue, in the same period a year earlier.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV