Gap Inc. (NYSE:GPS) today reported that October 2013 net sales increased 6 percent versus last year, and October 2013 comparable sales increased 4 percent versus a 4 percent increase last year. For the third quarter of fiscal year 2013, Gap Inc.’s net sales increased 3 percent versus last year, and comparable sales increased 1 percent versus a 6 percent increase last year.
Due to the 53 rd week in fiscal year 2012, comparable sales for October 2013 and the third quarter of fiscal year 2013, respectively, are compared to the four-week and 13-week periods ended November 3, 2012.
"All three of our global brands delivered positive comps for October," said Glenn Murphy, chairman and chief executive officer of Gap Inc. "Additionally, we are pleased with our guidance of earnings per share growth over last year."
Net sales for the four-week period ended November 2, 2013 were $1.29 billion compared with net sales of $1.22 billion for the four-week period ended October 27, 2012. In addition, net sales for the third quarter, which ended November 2, 2013, were $3.98 billion compared with $3.86 billion for the third quarter last year.October Comparable Sales Results Comparable sales by global brand for October 2013 were as follows:
- Gap Global: positive 5 percent versus positive 3 percent last year
- Banana Republic Global: positive 1 percent versus positive 5 percent last year
- Old Navy Global: positive 2 percent versus positive 5 percent last year
- Gap Global: positive 1 percent versus positive 4 percent last year
- Banana Republic Global: negative 1 percent versus positive 5 percent last year
- Old Navy Global: flat versus positive 9 percent last year