(2) The average sales price of natural gas for the gas production months within the distribution period exceeded the average NYMEX gas prices for those same months within the period due to the “liquids rich” content of a portion of the natural gas volumes produced by the underlying properties.
(3) There were no realized gains or losses on hedge settlements during the third quarterly payment period of 2013. All costless collar hedge contracts terminate as of December 31, 2014. Consequently, for all distributions after the February 2015 distribution, there will be no further cash settlement gains or losses on commodity hedges, and the Trust will have increased exposure to oil and natural gas price volatility.
The net profits interest represents the right to receive 90% of the net proceeds from Whiting Petroleum Corporation’s interests in certain existing oil and natural gas properties located primarily in the Rocky Mountains, Permian Basin, Gulf Coast and Mid-Continent regions of the United States. The net profits interest will terminate on the later to occur of (1) December 31, 2021, or (2) the time when 11.79 MMBOE have been produced from the underlying properties and sold (which amount is equivalent to 10.61 MMBOE attributable to the net profits interest), and the Trust will soon thereafter wind up its affairs and terminate, after which it will pay no further distributions. As described in the Trust’s public filings, since the assets of the Trust are depleting assets, a portion of each cash distribution paid on the Trust units should be considered by investors as a return of capital, with the remainder being considered as a return on investment, and consequently the market price of the Trust units will decline to zero at termination of the Trust.
As of September 30, 2013, on a cumulative accrual basis, 2.80 MMBOE (26%) of the Trust’s total 10.61 MMBOE have been produced and sold. Based on the Trust’s reserve report for the underlying properties as of December 31, 2012, the 11.79 MMBOE of reserves (10.61 MMBOE to the 90% net profits interest) are projected to be produced from the underlying properties prior to December 31, 2021. Additionally, the year-end reserve report reflects an expected year over year decline rate of approximately 9.0% between 2013 and 2021. However, cash distributions to unitholders may decline at a faster rate than the rate of production due to fixed and semi-variable costs attributable to the underlying properties, or if expected future development is delayed, reduced or cancelled.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV