13 Words You Don't Realize Will Sink Your Job Interview
Don't fall into the trap of matching your interviewer's casual tone, says Skiddy von Stade, founder and CEO of financial industry job board OneWire.
"The interviewer is allowed to be casual, but you're the one who has to be professional," von Stade says. "Using slang terms and words used in casual conversation like 'cool' is likely to lead your interviewer to believe you're not taking the opportunity seriously."
11. Dedicated"Think of it this way: If someone tells you they're dedicated, but lacks an example to back it up, do you really believe them?" von Stade asks. Besides being grossly overused, words such as "dedicated" are better shown, rather than simply stated. In other words, don't tell your interviewer you're dedicated; highlight accomplishments, hurdles overcome and concrete actions you've taken in your career. 12. Motivated The problem with "motivated" is that it means different things to different people, says Val Matta, VP of business development at job search site CareerShift. "Instead of saying you're motivated, give your top reasons why you have the drive to make things happen," Matta says. "You can do so by relaying your plans for the position or how you'd like to turn things around. This demonstrates where your motivation comes from." 13. OMG "'OMG' makes you hear screeching brakes whenever the term is uttered," Trovato says. Granted, it is more commonly used with millennials, but Trovato says it can even sneak up on older, more seasoned candidates. "No one wants to look stiff in front of an interviewer, and in order to form a connection with them, we might slip into more casual speech, but any acronyms are a no-go -- especially OMG."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV