13 Words You Don't Realize Will Sink Your Job Interview
"Saying 'um' too much could make someone picture you twirling your hair, chomping bubblegum and asking, 'Wait, what is this interview for again?' Connors says. "You want every question to be an opportunity to highlight why you're confident that you are the best candidate for the job, even if on paper you might look too inexperienced."
When you can, practice interviews with your friends, mentors and family, and if you need a moment to think during your interview, just say so, she suggests.
6. Whatever"'Whatever' is our verbal version of throwing up our hands at a situation," Trovato says. "If you end a sentence during an interview with something like, 'I did what I could, but whatever,' it shows you chose to disconnect from a situation rather than see it through." Overall, 'whatever' comes across as dismissive or even angry, and all the interviewer will hear is that you never tried, she says. 7. Stuff When someone asks you what your job duties were at your last position, saying 'Oh, a lot of stuff," is the quickest way to get your resume thrown in the trash, Trovato says. "We are often overly secure in being able to explain the work we do because we do it every day," Trovato says. "But before you go into an interview, you need to practice telling someone about your key responsibilities." 8. Hate Never turn the conversation in the wrong direction with negative words like "hate," says Nathan Parcells, co-founder and CMO of online job platform InternMatch. Even if you're tempted to highlight difficulties in your last position -- don't. "Don't talk badly about former employers," Parcells says. "If you had a negative experience, focus on what you learned and how you overcame obstacles."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV