NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Let's kick off this week's Biotech Stock Mailbag with a few questions about Galectin Therapeutics (GALT), which until recently (and quite surprisingly) was one of the best-performing drug stocks this year.
On Oct. 25, Galectin announced an "At The Market" equity sales agreement through which the company's broker MLV & Co. will sell up to $30 million in stock. These ATM stock sales are opaque -- the timing of sales and the number of shares sold is known only by the company and its broker. Galectin is only obligated to disclose ATM sales in its quarterly SEC filings.
Galectin's ATM was announced a week after the stock hit an all-time high of $12.45 per share. You could say the company is being smart and opportunistic, but the market tends to view the dilution and opacity of ATMs bearishly. At Thursday's close, the stock is down 28% from its high. Galectin shares are under added selling pressure because its largest shareholder, 10X Fund, has been exercising warrants.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV