Another under-$10 stock that's starting to move within range of triggering a big breakout trade is Fuel-Tech (FTEK), which uses a suite of advanced technologies to provide boiler optimization, efficiency improvement and air pollution reduction and control solutions to utility and industrial customers. This stock is off to a slow start in 2013, with shares up just 7% so far.
If you take a look at the chart for Fuel Tech, you'll notice that this stock has entered a tight consolidation chart pattern over the last month, with shares moving between $4.19 on the downside and $4.78 a share on the upside. Shares of FTEK are now starting to trend higher and move within range of triggering a big breakout trade above the upper-end of its recent sideways trading chart pattern.Market players should now look for long-biased trades in FTEK if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $4.66 to $4.68 a share and then once it takes out more resistance at $4.78 to its 52-week high at $5.20 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 77,549 shares. If that breakout hits soon, then FTEK will set up to enter new 52-week high territory, which is bullish technical price action. Some possible upside targets of that breakout are $5.50 to $6, or even $7 a share. Traders can look to buy FTEK off weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below its 50-day at $4.33 a share, or just below its 200-day at $4.14 a share. One can also buy FTEK off strength once it clears those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV