IRVING, Texas, Nov. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Roll up the windows and store valuables out of sight. More Texas cars and trucks are broken into on Nov. 8 than any other day - according to Allstate Insurance Company. The insurer looked at its Texas claims over the last three years (2010-2012) and found more smash and grabs occur on Nov. 8 than any other day. Allstate Insurance Company encourages holiday shoppers to lock their vehicles and hide their valuables.
"Whether we're nearing the holiday shopping season like today or running everyday errands," says Jeff Baird, an Allstate agency owner in North Texas. "By letting our guard down and leaving valuables in plain sight, the car becomes a target for parking lot predators."
Top Items for the TakingIn-vehicle theft is not stealing the entire car; it's the smash-and-grab of items left inside. Texas police say top items on a thief's shopping list include laptop computers, purses, wallets, tablets and smart phones.
"Never leave anything in the car that you can't afford to lose," says Frisco Police Sgt. Brad Merritt. Allstate agrees. Here are steps to reduce the risk:Tips to Turn off Thieves
- Lock It Up and Roll 'Em Up – Seems like common sense, but an unlocked door or rolled down window gives thieves fast access to everything in the car.
- Look Around – Park in well-lighted areas of the parking lot or street. Look for safety benefits like security cameras or pedestrian activity. Lights, cameras and law-abiding citizens are turn-offs for thieves.
- Hide it First or Take It Along – If it's too awkward or too bulky to keep in your possession, store valuable items in the trunk of the car or out of sight--and do it before you park. Waiting to hide valuables until you've arrived can allow a thief to watch where you stow your stuff.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts