TOLEDO, Ohio, Nov. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) has awarded Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) grants to five Toledo-area teachers. The grants, up to $500 each, will be used for a variety of hands-on projects, workshops and teacher development programs throughout the school year. FirstEnergy awarded STEM grants to 21 teachers state-wide.
Toledo-area grant winners, their schools and the projects funded by the grants are:
- Kimberly Bigioini, Ph.D., Phoenix Academy, Toledo – Wind Power Exploration
- Deb Carper and Louise Lowenstein, Toledo Technology Academy, Toledo – Mini Tesla Coil Project
- Cynthia Madanski, Robinson Elementary School, Toledo – Designing Solar Ovens
- Luke McKinley, Chase STEM Academy, Toledo – What Is So Special About The Sun?
"FirstEnergy is proud to award these grants to our winning teachers to promote science, technology, engineering and mathematics instruction for their students," said Linda Moss, regional president of Toledo Edison. "The FirstEnergy Foundation received a number of very competitive applications this year, and we're proud to have five winning teachers in our area."
FirstEnergy offers grants up to $500 to individual teachers and administrators at schools served by its electric utility operating companies and in communities where it has facilities.Grant recipients are recommended by local educators who make up FirstEnergy's Educational Advisory Council. As part of the program, recipients must furnish a written summary and evaluation of their projects that can be shared with other educators in FirstEnergy's service area. FirstEnergy is a diversified energy company dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Its 10 electric distribution companies form one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, serving customers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, Maryland and New York. Its generation subsidiaries currently control more than 18,000 megawatts of capacity from a diversified mix of scrubbed coal, non-emitting nuclear, natural gas, hydro, pumped-storage hydro and other renewables. Follow FirstEnergy on Twitter @FirstEnergyCorp.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV