NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Aluminum producers are reversing gains achieved over October during Thursday trading. Industry heavyweight Alcoa (AA) has plunged 6.4% to $9.04 and Century Aluminum (CENX) is down 5.1% to $8.82. Aluminum Corp of China (ACH) and Noranda Aluminum Holding (NOR) have both shed 1%, while Kaiser Aluminum Corp (KALU) has edged 0.56% lower.
Since Oct. 7, micro-cap producer Noranda has led the sector, adding 29.3% to share prices, followed by Alcoa which saw 13.4% gains. Century Aluminum added 8.1% and Aluminum Corp of China remained unchanged. The sole loser, Kaiser Aluminum, shed 7.9% over the last four weeks after reporting disappointing third-quarter earnings mid-month.
In October, Bloomberg said the run-up in aluminum stocks was likely due to speculation prices for the metal would spike over the remainder of the year. On the London Metal Exchange, aluminum for delivery in three months has risen 2.2%.
AlcoaTheStreet Ratings team rates Alcoa Inc as a Hold with a ratings score of C. The team has this to say about its recommendation: "We rate Alcoa Inc (AA) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, impressive record of earnings per share growth and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including poor profit margins, weak operating cash flow and generally higher debt management risk."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AA Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CENX Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NOR Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: KALU Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV