LOS ANGELES, Nov. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- To prepare for Take a Hike Day on Nov. 17, 2013, outdoor enthusiasts can explore what nature has to offer with expert insights and gear from specialty sporting goods retailer Sport Chalet. Prior to making the trek, Sport Chalet Hiking Expert and Senior Apparel Buyer Paul Smedley provides gear and trail recommendations to help both novice and expert hikers blaze the trails in confidence.
First, he suggests being equipped with the following items:
- Footwear can make or break a hiking experience. Low cut shoes like adidas Terrex Fast X Mid GTX Outdoor Training Shoes are a lightweight option for shorter trips. Mid- to high-cut footwear offers additional ankle support for longer trips and for hikes with irregular terrain.
- Proper hydration is critical regardless of distance. Hydration packs allow hikers to carry plenty of water with ease. This The North Face Torrent Hydration Pack holds 8L of water in a backpack reservoir that is lightweight with additional space to carry any other hiking essentials.
- Know the weather forecast and plan for changes by bringing layers of clothing or wearing apparel that can transition easily. The adidas MT Hike Zip Off Pant is made of lightweight moisture management fabric and is built with a zipper in each pant leg to easily convert into shorts as temperatures rise.
- Avoid getting stranded with the DeLorme inReach SE Satellite Communicator, which can track GPS coordinates, allow for text communication regardless of cellular service and can even trigger an SOS signal.
- Should one get separated from a group The Pocket Survival Pak™ contains a collection of survival tools hikers can easily carry to keep safe and warm.
"The distance and difficulty of the hike determines what type of gear you might need," said Smedley. "Sport Chalet Experts are readily available in-store to equip hikers with the proper gear and advice tailored to their needs. Our ultimate goal is to help customers feel prepared and capable to get out and explore the world around them."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV