The St. Joe Company (NYSE: JOE) today announced Net Income for the third quarter 2013 of $4.2 million, or $0.05 per share, compared to Net Income of $15.3 million, or $0.17 per share for the third quarter of 2012. For the nine months ended September 30, 2013, the Company reported Net Income of $4.4 million or $0.05 per share compared to Net Income of $14.6 million or $0.16 per share for the same period last year. Income for the third quarter of 2013 did not include any significant rural land sales compared to the third quarter of 2012, which included income of $14.7 million from rural land.
Observations regarding the Company’s major business segments in the third quarter of 2013 compared to the third quarter of 2012 include:
- Residential real estate revenue increased $1.0 million due to an increase in the number of residential lots sold in the Company’s primary home communities.
- Resorts, leisure and leasing operations revenue increased $4.2 million. $2.1 million of that increase is related to specific sales of operating properties. The remaining $2.1 million increase is due to higher average room rates, a greater number of homes in the Company’s vacation rental business, and the continuing positive impact of commercial leases.
- The volume of timber delivered was lower due to unusually high amounts of rain over the summer months. Forestry revenue decreased $1.9 million primarily due to a decrease in the tons of timber delivered offset by higher prices per ton.
- Commercial real estate and rural land sales revenue were minimal in the three months ending September 30, 2013, as compared to a total of $22.5 million in the third quarter of 2012.
Operating and Corporate expenses declined by $2.2 million due to reductions in employee related costs and lower real estate carrying costs during the nine months ending September 30, 2013, as compared to same period in 2012.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts