Nov. 7, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Adding to the popular, low-cost TI
evaluation kit ecosystem, Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced the new
C2000™ InstaSPIN-FOC™ (field-oriented-control) LaunchPad
DRV8301motor drive BoosterPack
plug-in module, creating a fully-functional sensorless motor control system for just
. Traditional sensorless motor control development is complicated and unattainable for most developers due to cost, time and real world application constraints. TI's
, with the key software sensor algorithms embedded in on-chip ROM, alleviates system complexity for designers of all levels while also reducing design time by identifying, tuning and efficiently controlling any type of 3-phase, synchronous or asynchronous motor in just minutes. By including InstaSPIN-FOC technology in the on-board
Piccolo™ F28027F MCU
, the new
C2000 InstaSPIN-FOC LaunchPad dramatically reduces the barriers to entry for motor control development.
A complete, fully functional motor kit for just $66
DRV8301 motor drive BoosterPack plug-in module, also announced today, creates a low-voltage, medium-current, robust motor control solution that is ready for development of 6- to 24-V, up to 14-A applications and can be used as a low-cost prototyping and evaluation tool for developing a higher-powered system. The DRV8301 BoosterPack is an affordable option to help developers start designing with 3-phase motor control and is the only TI-designed motor driver BoosterPack on the market today – made specifically for the C2000 InstaSPIN-FOC LaunchPad. If designers purchase the LaunchPad and BoosterPack together, they can test and experiment with this unique pairing of motor control hardware and TI's InstaSPIN-FOC technology, including full hardware design files, debugging, GUI interface and more, to begin creating appliance motors, fans and pumps.
Features and benefits of C2000 InstaSPIN-FOC™ LaunchPad:
Features and benefits of the DRV8301 BoosterPack:
- Extremely low-cost tool which provides isolated real-time JTAG debugging and access to most input/output pins of the InstaSPIN-FOC enabled Piccolo MCU.
- Utilize the on-board, low-cost, 48-pin package, 64 KB of Flash-enabled Piccolo F28027F microcontroller with on-chip InstaSPIN-FOC motor control technology to identify and tune all 3-phase sensorless motor types, including synchronous (BLDC, SPM and IPM) and asynchronous (ACI) motors in minutes, cutting cost and design time.
- Begin software development easily with a free version of TI's Code Composer Studio™ integrated development environment (IDE).
- Evaluate quickly and develop full InstaSPIN-FOC based applications easily using the new motor control library (modules, drivers, system examples, documentation) through MotorWare ™ software, which offers latest in C object-oriented and API-based coding techniques and over a dozen lab based projects that let you explore the features of InstaSPIN-FOC (Motor ID, saving motor parameters, torque control, tuning speed controller, run-time resistance monitoring, field weakening, modulation techniques and PowerWarp™ solution).
- Use InstaSPIN-FOC solutions to obtain near encoder performance (to eliminate the need for a physical sensor in most applications) with embedded on-chip FAST™ observer algorithm, which through only analysis of currents and voltages, calculates a reliable and robust estimation of rotor flux, angle, speed and torque across use conditions.
Pricing and availability
- When paired with the C2000 InstaSPIN-FOC LaunchPad, the DRV8301 BoosterPack provides a complete 3-phase brushless DC sensorless motor control solution.
- The complete brushless DC drive stage includes a pre-driver, power MOSFETs, and current sense amps in a small form factor.
- Experiment with motor drive systems at a low voltage with this 6- to 24-V, 14-A peak 3-phase inverter.
- Drive stage is fully protected and provides detailed fault reporting through a serial interface.
- NexFET™ power MOSFET technology enables higher system efficiency and excellent thermal performance.
- All hardware design files are provided allowing customers re-use of circuit and layout designs.
The new C2000 InstaSPIN-FOC LaunchPad development kit (
) is now available for
, and the DRV8301 BoosterPack plug-in module (BOOSTXL-DRV8301) is available for
. For convenience, users can
bundle both kits together
on the TI eStore. Additional previously released InstaSPIN-FOC enabled kits that support different inverter power ranges, Piccolo, and DRV83xx devices include
. The InstaSPIN-FOC enabled
MCUs start at
in low volumes, DRV8301 at
NexFET MOSFETs at
Innovation is at the core of TI MCUs
Beginning with the foundation of leading process technology and adding unique system architecture, intellectual property and real-world system expertise, TI continues its 20+ years of MCU innovation with ultra-low-power MSP MCUs, real-time control C2000™ MCUs, Tiva™ ARM® MCUs and Hercules™ safety MCUs. Designers can accelerate time to market with TI's ecosystem of tools, software, wireless connectivity solutions, extensive Design Network offerings and technical support.