The Coca-Cola Company today released its tenth annual Sustainability Report and third Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Report highlighting the progress the Coca-Cola system made in 2012 and the new 2020 sustainability goals announced earlier this year.
“At Coca-Cola, sustainability is a critical component of our business strategy. It is about improving lives, creating jobs, increasing opportunity, preserving resources and meeting needs for the communities we proudly serve around the globe,” said Muhtar Kent, Chairman and CEO, The Coca-Cola Company. “There are no issues that will more shape or define the 21 st century than the global empowerment of women; the management of the world’s precious water resources; and the well-being of the world’s growing population.”
This is the first report to include both an update on existing sustainability goals and the Company’s new global 2020 goals. The report follows the Company’s sustainability framework—“Me, We, World”—and is rooted in three leadership priorities:
- Women: In our third year, we continue our journey to economically empower 5 million women entrepreneurs across our value chain by 2020 through our 5by20™ program. Specifically, this includes the small businesses that work with the Company in more than 200 countries around the world. This initiative aims to help women entrepreneurs, from fruit farmers to artisans, overcome the barriers they face to succeed in business. By the end of 2012, 5by20 programs had enabled 300,000 women in 22 countries—more than double the number of participants reached by the end of 2011.
- Water: We are partnering around the world to meet our 2020 water use reduction and replenishment goals. This work has improved our water efficiency by 21.4 percent since 2004 and supported an estimated replenishment of approximately 52 percent of the water we used in our finished beverage products through 2012. We also recently announced progress in our partnership with DEKA R&D and other partners to deliver 500 million liters of safe drinking water to communities in 20 countries through Slingshot™ water purification units and EKOCENTER™ kiosks by the end of 2015.
- Well-being: In advancing one of our global commitments to help address obesity, we offer more than 800 low- and no-calorie options worldwide—nearly 25 percent of our global portfolio. In 2012, we introduced more than 500 new products globally, including portion-controlled options for regular calorie products, and more than 100 new low- or no-calorie options. Since 2000, our average number of calories per serving has decreased by 9 percent globally. In 2012, we supported more than 290 active healthy living programs in 118 countries.
The report also updates other areas of progress. Through The Coca-Cola Foundation, the Company’s global philanthropic arm, we invested $101.6 million (1 percent of our operating income) in grants to support sustainable community initiatives in 2012. We continue applying our supply chain and logistics expertise to help deliver essential medicines to communities that need them through Project Last Mile, and 98 percent of our Company-owned facilities achieved compliance with our Workplace Rights Policy for the second consecutive year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV