Cross Country Healthcare, Inc. (NASDAQ: CCRN) today announced financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2013.
THIRD QUARTER FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
- Consolidated revenue was $108.0 million a decrease of 4% from $112.3 million last year.
- Adjusted EBITDA from continuing operations (see table titled “Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Financial Measures”) increased to $2.9 million, or 2.7% of revenue, from $1.0 million, or 0.9% of revenue, in the prior year quarter.
- Income from continuing operations before income taxes was $0.8 million, compared with a loss from continuing operations of $2.0 million, in the prior year quarter.
- Income from continuing operations was $1.5 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, compared with $0.7 million, or $0.02 per diluted share, in the prior year.
- Cash flow from operations was $7.2 million. At the end of the quarter, the Company had $32.5 million in cash and cash equivalents, $0.3 million of debt and $26.6 million of availability under its credit facility.
Cross Country Healthcare President and CEO William J. Grubbs commented, “I am pleased with our progress this quarter especially with regards to pricing and cost management which has led to improved profitability. In addition, there are encouraging trends in our nursing position count and book to bill ratio that should help us get the company on a growth path in coming quarters."
THIRD QUARTER OPERATING PERFORMANCEThird quarter consolidated revenue was $108.0 million, a decrease of 4% from the same quarter last year, and 2% sequentially. The Company's consolidated gross margin was 26.1%, up 160 basis points from the same quarter last year and 100 basis points sequentially. The margin improvement was due to a combination of lower field insurance costs in our staffing businesses and a continued expansion of the bill/pay spread in our nurse and allied staffing business segment. The Company generated $7.2 million in cash flow from operations during the third quarter of 2013, compared with $1.9 million in the third quarter of 2012.