Today's Unusual Social Activity Stock: Aon Plc (AON)
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Aon plc (AON) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Aon plc as such a stock due to the following factors:
- AON has 14x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 0.50 mentions/day.
- AON has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $204.7 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in AON with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for AON NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on AON: Aon plc provides risk management services, insurance and reinsurance brokerage, and human resource consulting and outsourcing services worldwide. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.9%. AON has a PE ratio of 23.7. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Aon plc a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 9 rate it a hold.The average volume for Aon plc has been 2.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Aon plc has a market cap of $23.7 billion and is part of the financial sector and insurance industry. The stock has a beta of 1.10 and a short float of 1% with 1.24 days to cover. Shares are up 41.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Aon plc as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, notable return on equity, impressive record of earnings per share growth, increase in net income and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company is trading at a premium valuation based on our review of its current price compared to such things as earnings and book value.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 12.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- AON PLC has improved earnings per share by 32.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, AON PLC increased its bottom line by earning $2.99 versus $2.87 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.85 versus $2.99).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Insurance industry and the overall market, AON PLC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 32.25% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 46.59% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Insurance industry average. The net income increased by 25.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $204.00 million to $256.00 million.
- You can view the full Aon plc Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV