NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- While media stocks have been on a tear this year, and TheStreet's Leon Lazaroff and Debra Borchardt explain why the companies are poised for success.
Despite lower TV ratings, network companies are getting favorable business from advertisers and affiliates, Lazaroff said.
He pointed to Time Warner Cable
(TWC), which reported earnings last week and had pretty good results considering its spat with CBS Networks
(CBS). Cable bundling with Internet has been able to help many of the cable providers as well.
Time Warner (TWX) beat earnings estimates on Wednesday and Disney (DIS) is set to release results after the close on Thursday.
However, there's one area of television that can fuel cable companies higher: Sports contracts.
Lazaroff suggested that Twenty-First Century Fox (FOX) realized this and took the upfront expenses in order to build out its new sports network, Fox Sports 1.When weighing the pros and cons of the move, he pointed to Disney and how much profit it generates from its ESPN unit. Turning to film, Lazaroff said that despite fewer movies being produced, the companies are still doing very well. Specifically, Disney should be set going into 2014 with Thor: The Dark World and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty scheduled to be released Nov. 8 and Dec. 25, respectively. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV