The two companies extended the date after which either company could walk away from the deal until January 31, 2014, but also said in April "there can be no assurances that the merger will be completed by that date."
M&T's shares seem to have been held back this year by the delay to the Hudson City deal, but the there's no denying the bank is a solid performer.
U.S. Bancorp has been a very strong, consistent earner over the past 10 full years, as we discussed back in May. USB's shares closed at $37.67 Tuesday, for a year-to-date return of 20%. The shares trade for 11.8 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $3.20. The company's ROTCE has ranged from 22.41% to 25.00% over the past five quarters, putting it in second place to Discover among the banks listed here. Please see TheStreet's earnings coverage for a discussion of the company's third-quarter results.
Wells Fargo (WFC) since the credit crisis in 2008 has consistently been the strongest performer among the "big four" U.S. banks, which also include JPMorgan, Bank of America (BAC) and Citigroup (C). The company's shares closed at $42.63 Tuesday, retuning 27% this year. The stock trades for 10.6 times the consensus EPS estimate of $4.01. Wells Fargo's ROTCE has ranged between 17.48% and 18.77% over the past five quarters. Please see TheStreet's earnings coverage for a detailed discussion of the company's third-quarter results.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV