BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Fact: Interest rates are hovering near historic lows right now. That's a problem. It's an even bigger problem for investors who rely on income from their portfolios to keep the lights on.
There's a solution though: real estate investment trusts, or REITs.
Don't let the name fool you -- REITs aren't a way to get real estate exposure for your portfolio. If you want to invest in rising home prices, buy a homebuilder. Instead, they're purpose-built income-generation vehicles. And with rates scraping the bottom of historic lows, REITs are looking more attractive than ever.Despite some softness in REIT prices over the last few months, these income machines are heating up again. In fact, 2013 has been the best year for REIT IPOs since all the way back in 2004. Clearly, there's money coming back into this corner of the market now, it's just a question of which ones to buy. >>5 Stocks Ready to Break Out This Month Solid fundamentals alone aren't enough to justify putting cash into a REIT; chasing yield is a big mistake in this market just like any other. Instead, we're focusing on a combination of sustainable dividend payouts and oversized market strength in today's list. Without further ado, here's a closer look at five REITs worth owning.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV