BRISTOL, Va., Nov. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Alpha Natural Resources (NYSE: ANR) and its affiliates, demonstrating their commitment to safety and continual improvement, recently received national and state recognition for mine safety performance, safety technology development and surface mine restoration.
Recent awards include:
- Two annual " Sentinels of Safety" awards given by the National Mining Association. Dickenson-Russell Coal's Roaring Fork No. 4 Mine won the Small Underground Coal category, and Omar Mining's Chesterfield Prep Plant won the Small Coal Processing Facility category. The award recognizes the sites ranked among the safest mining industry facilities in the nation. This is the second time these companies have won a "Sentinels of Safety" award.
- The Mine Safety and Health Technology Innovations Award, given by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health to companies that improve mine worker safety and health through technological innovation. Alpha, in partnership with Matrix Design Group, won the award for creating next-generation atmospheric monitoring sensors that detect air velocity, low-power methane and carbon monoxide. These sensors, which are now commercially available, have improved detection of potentially harmful developments in the mine's ventilation network and their 24-hour battery backup provides enhanced functionality.
- Two Underground Safety Awards presented jointly by the Kentucky Office of Mine Safety and Licensing and the Kentucky Coal Association in recognition of top safety records. Enterprise Mining Company's 9A Mine was recognized for the best safety record in the Hazard District and Sidney Coal Company's M-3 Energy Mining's Mine #1 was selected for the best record in the Pikeville District.
- A 2013 Excellence in Reclamation Award, presented to Sidney Coal Company's Pegs Branch Surface Mine. The award, sponsored jointly by the Kentucky Department for Natural Resources and the Kentucky Coal Association, recognized the company for successfully establishing a beneficial post-mining land use of fish and wildlife habitat.
"These awards are examples of how our people live Alpha's commitment to Running Right by continually focusing on safety, striving for improvement and operating in an environmentally responsible manner," said Alpha President Paul Vining. "Safety is Alpha's first priority and embedded throughout our culture, which is why we are proud to celebrate these accomplishments."
About Alpha Natural Resources Alpha Natural Resources is one of the largest and most regionally diversified coal suppliers in the United States. With mining operations in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Wyoming, Alpha supplies metallurgical coal to the steel industry and thermal coal to generate power to customers on five continents. Alpha is committed to being a leader in mine safety with our Running Right safety process, and an environmental steward in the communities where we operate. For more information, visit Alpha's official website ( www.alphanr.com).SOURCE Alpha Natural Resources
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV