- Two annual " Sentinels of Safety" awards given by the National Mining Association. Dickenson-Russell Coal's Roaring Fork No. 4 Mine won the Small Underground Coal category, and Omar Mining's Chesterfield Prep Plant won the Small Coal Processing Facility category. The award recognizes the sites ranked among the safest mining industry facilities in the nation. This is the second time these companies have won a "Sentinels of Safety" award.
- The Mine Safety and Health Technology Innovations Award, given by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health to companies that improve mine worker safety and health through technological innovation. Alpha, in partnership with Matrix Design Group, won the award for creating next-generation atmospheric monitoring sensors that detect air velocity, low-power methane and carbon monoxide. These sensors, which are now commercially available, have improved detection of potentially harmful developments in the mine's ventilation network and their 24-hour battery backup provides enhanced functionality.
- Two Underground Safety Awards presented jointly by the Kentucky Office of Mine Safety and Licensing and the Kentucky Coal Association in recognition of top safety records. Enterprise Mining Company's 9A Mine was recognized for the best safety record in the Hazard District and Sidney Coal Company's M-3 Energy Mining's Mine #1 was selected for the best record in the Pikeville District.
- A 2013 Excellence in Reclamation Award, presented to Sidney Coal Company's Pegs Branch Surface Mine. The award, sponsored jointly by the Kentucky Department for Natural Resources and the Kentucky Coal Association, recognized the company for successfully establishing a beneficial post-mining land use of fish and wildlife habitat.
Alpha Natural Resources And Its Affiliates Recognized For Safety, Innovation And Environmental Excellence
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts