More than seventy-five technologists were brought together by MetLife, a leading global life insurance and employee benefits company, to develop innovative solutions to improve the coordination of health care for U.S. military veterans. MetLife tackled the issue, which the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has faced for years, by hosting a first-of-its-kind, 32-hour “TechJam” on November 1 and 2 at the Research Triangle Park Headquarters in North Carolina. The event challenged participants to develop a robust Electronic Health Record solution in support of VA’s mission to serve veterans, service members, and their families. Through facilitation by MetLife, participants made their solutions available publicly through open source code.
From 10 participating teams, a panel of expert judges selected the following winners:
- Overall winner: Infusion (Stephen Jakisa, Peter Newhook, Matt Pavelko, Noah Santorello)
- Individual category winners:
- Data integration and augmentation: Awesome Nighthawks (Hunter Enoch, Scott Ilkenhons, Noah Morgan, Christian Matson)
- User experience: DB Global Technology Cary (Venkatavasishta Chemudupati, Sarah Kahn, Nick Mason, James Pujals, Aditya Samant, Vish Sonagara)
- Predictive analysis: Islington Green (James Dixon, Ian Cillay, David Green, Ian Henshaw)
- Mobile: vCare (Srinivasa Raaghavan Ramanuja Seshaadri, Sumit Bhattacharjee Bhattacharjee, Indranath Bhattacharya, Sushil Sahoo, Anirban Banerjee, Bhartarshabh Katiyar)
The challenge for the MetLife TechJam originated from the tremendous volume of veteran medical data and records typically spread between different physicians and across VA’s 1,500 facilities. Blue Button, a program that provides veteran health information in a simple text file, allows veterans to download their personal health information from their My HealtheVet account. In an effort to improve upon the current system, MetLife and VA drew inspiration from the MetLife Wall, a MongoDB-based application that brings together customer data from more than 70 systems.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts