AKRON, Ohio, Nov. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- FirstEnergy Nuclear Operating Company (FENOC) announced tonight that Beaver Valley Power Station Unit 1 is safely shut down as plant personnel assess the cause of a small electrical wiring fire. An unusual event, the lowest of four nuclear emergency classifications, was declared at 6:28 p.m. this evening in response to the issue.
Operators manually shut down Beaver Valley Unit 1 shortly before 6:00 p.m. today after receiving indications of an issue with the main generator breaker. An inspection of the turbine building identified a small fire in a cable tray carrying wiring from the breaker, which was extinguished by plant personnel. Offsite fire companies responded to the site, though their services were not required.
The unusual event was exited at 7:59 p.m. Beaver Valley Unit 1 remains safely shut down, and an assessment for equipment damage and cause of the electrical fault is currently under way. There was no impact on public health and safety as a result of the unusual event. Local, state and federal agencies and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission have been notified.
Beaver Valley Unit 2 remains operating at 100 percent power.FENOC is a subsidiary of FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE), a diversified energy company headquartered in Akron, Ohio. FENOC also operates the Davis-Besse Nuclear Power Station in Oak Harbor, Ohio, and the Perry Nuclear Power Plant in Perry, Ohio. SOURCE FirstEnergy Corp.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV