Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE:RGR) announced today that for the third quarter of 2013 the Company reported net sales of $170.9 million and fully diluted earnings of $1.44 per share, compared with net sales of $118.2 million and fully diluted earnings of 88¢ per share in the third quarter of 2012.
For the nine months ended September 28, 2013, net sales were $506.4 million and fully diluted earnings were $4.25 per share. For the corresponding period in 2012, net sales were $350.1 million and fully diluted earnings were $2.58 per share.
The Company also announced today that its Board of Directors declared a dividend of 58¢ per share for the third quarter, for shareholders of record as of November 15, 2013, payable on November 29, 2013. This dividend varies every quarter because the Company pays a percent of earnings rather than a fixed amount per share. This dividend is approximately 40% of net income.
Chief Executive Officer Michael O. Fifer made the following observations related to the Company’s results:
- Our earnings increased 64% from the third quarter of 2012, driven by the 45% growth in sales and our ongoing focus on continuous improvement in our operations.
- New product introductions were a significant component of our sales growth as new product sales represented $146.6 million or 32% of firearm sales in the first nine months of 2013. New product introductions in 2013 included the LC380 pistol, the SR45 pistol, and the Ruger American Rimfire rifle.
- Demand for our products outpaced the growth in overall industry demand as measured by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (“NICS”) background checks (as adjusted by the National Shooting Sports Foundation) for both the third quarter and nine months ended September 28, 2013 as illustrated below:
|Period ended September 28, 2013|
|Increase in estimated Ruger Units Sold from Distributors to Retailers||31%||26%||(a)|
|Increase in total adjusted NICS Background Checks (thousands)||- %||22%|
|(a)||Insufficient distributor inventory at December 31, 2012 severely limited the estimated sell-through from independent distributors to retailers in the first half of 2013.|
- Cash generated from operations during the nine months ended September 28, 2013 was $84 million. At September 28, 2013, our cash totaled $54 million. Our current ratio is 1.8 to 1 and we have no debt.
- In the first nine months of 2013, capital expenditures totaled $31 million, much of it related to new products and the expansion of production capacity. We expect to invest approximately $40 million on capital expenditures during 2013.
- In the first nine months of 2013, the Company returned $30 million to its shareholders through the payment of dividends. An additional $11 million of dividends will be paid to shareholders on November 29, 2013.
- At September 28, 2013, stockholders’ equity was $152.6 million, which equates to a book value of $7.89 per share, of which $2.80 per share was cash and equivalents.
- On September 3, 2013, the Company announced that it finalized the purchase of a 220,000 square foot facility in Mayodan, North Carolina. This is the Company's first major expansion in over 25 years, and production at the new facility is expected to begin during the first quarter of 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV