- Record Revenue of $53.3 million, up 67% over third quarter 2012.
- Record Marketplace Revenue of $40.9 million, up 73% over third quarter 2012.
- Record quarterly and all-time traffic, with nearly 64 million monthly unique users on mobile and Web in August 2013 (up 75% year-over-year).
- Premier Agent count grew 68% year-over-year, adding a record 5,942 new subscribers during the quarter.
SEATTLE, Nov. 5, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Zillow, Inc. (Nasdaq:Z), the leading real estate and home-related marketplace, today announced financial results for the quarter ended September 30, 2013.
"The third quarter was another extremely strong one for Zillow®, as we exceeded our outlook and delivered record results. We made significant progress toward our priorities to grow audience, grow our Premier Agent business and grow our emerging marketplaces," said Spencer Rascoff, CEO of Zillow, Inc. "It was also a momentous quarter for our brand as we hosted an unprecedented nationwide event with President Obama. We acquired New York City's number one real estate website, StreetEasy®. Additionally, we experienced a significant positive impact during the peak of the home shopping season from our first-ever national brand advertising campaign."
Third Quarter 2013 Financial Highlights
- Revenue increased 67% to a record $53.3 million from $31.9 million in the third quarter of 2012.
* Marketplace Revenue increased 73% to a record $40.9 million from $23.6 million in the third quarter of 2012.
-- Real Estate Revenue grew 67% to $35.1 million from $21.0 million in the third quarter of 2012.
-- Mortgages Revenue grew 120% to $5.7 million from $2.6 million in the third quarter of 2012.
* Display Revenue increased 50% to $12.4 million from $8.3 million in the third quarter of 2012.
- Due primarily to planned increases in advertising expenses, GAAP net loss was $1.2 million in the third quarter of 2013, compared to GAAP net income of $2.3 million in the third quarter of 2012. Included in our GAAP earnings is a one-time tax benefit of $4.3 million related to the acquisition of StreetEasy.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $4.1 million, or 8% of revenue, compared to $7.6 million in the third quarter of 2012, or 24% of revenue. This year-over-year change is primarily due to our previously announced investment in advertising. Additionally, Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter exceeded the previously announced business outlook, due primarily to higher-than-projected revenue flowing through to the bottom line.
- Basic and diluted GAAP loss per share was $0.03, compared to basic and diluted GAAP earnings per share of $0.08 and $0.07, respectively, in the same period last year. Basic and diluted non-GAAP net loss per share was $0.05, compared to basic and diluted non-GAAP net income per share of $0.13 in the same period last year, which excludes share-based compensation and the one-time tax benefit.
- Zillow's audience continues to grow substantially, extending the company's leadership over other category players. In August, traffic reached a record 63.7 million monthly unique users on mobile and Web, an increase of 75% year-over-year. Average monthly unique users during the third quarter of 2013 were a record 61.1 million, up 69% year-over-year.
- On desktop, according to comScore®, Zillow's audience market share grew from nearly 27% of the real estate category to nearly 34% of the category year-to-date. The number 2 and 3 brands in the category lost share. Zillow has more than doubled its market share on the Web over the second brand in the category over the last 12 months.
- Visits to Zillow via a mobile device more than doubled year-over-year in the third quarter of 2013, and in August, 321 million homes were viewed on Zillow via a mobile device. That equates to 120 homes per second. Today, 60% of visits to Zillow occur on a mobile device, jumping to more than 70% on weekends. Zillow operates 25 mobile applications across seven platforms.
- Premier Agent subscribers increased by a record 5,942 in the third quarter of 2013, and totaled 44,749 on September 30, 2013, up 68% year-over-year. Driven by record subscriber growth, average monthly revenue per subscriber in the third quarter of 2013 was $264.
- In August, Zillow acquired StreetEasy, the number one online real estate brand in New York City. StreetEasy attracts more than 1 million monthly unique users, and we believe provides untapped potential for revenue growth in the largest U.S. real estate market.
- In August, Zillow hosted President Barack Obama in an unprecedented event during which the President answered housing questions asked by Zillow users. The event, moderated by Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff, was followed by a number of other events in partnership with the federal government, including a Google+ Hangout™ with the Federal Housing Finance Authority and an October housing forum, during which a number of elected and appointed officials spoke.
- In September, Zillow completely redesigned the Zillow Real Estate App for iPhone® and iPad® to launch alongside Apple's new operating system, iOS7. Apple® then highlighted the app during their launch event and heavily featured it in the App Store, contributing to heavy downloads and usage.
- In October, Zillow launched the Zillow Digs™ App for iPhone, which Apple featured in the App Store. Since its initial launch in February 2013, Zillow Digs users have "dug" more than 1 million photos, created more than 160,000 boards of ideas and décor, and contributed more than 85,000 photos. This new app allows users to browse photos of kitchens, bathrooms, outdoor spaces and more.
- Zillow Mortgage Marketplace continued to grow during the quarter with a record 5.9 million loan requests submitted by borrowers, which exceeds the number of loan requests Zillow received in the entire year of 2011.
- As part of the reporting of third quarter results, Zillow is working with The Motley Fool, a multimedia financial services company, to broaden the reach of social media questions and discussion surrounding today's earnings announcement. After results become public, Fool.com will carry an interview with Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff. Immediately following the conference call, Motley Fool analysts will moderate a Twitter® conversation with Rascoff, using the hashtag #ZEarnings.
- Additionally, for the third quarter in a row, Zillow executives will consider questions submitted via Twitter and Facebook® during its third quarter earnings call, with the hashtag #ZEarnings, in addition to questions submitted by those dialed in.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV