So Long Black Friday, Hello Cyber-Thanksgiving Thursday?
Adobe also found that a majority of consumers also expect to spend the same amount in 2013 as they did last year, but online shopping continues to take a bigger share. Consumers are motivated to shop online primarily by the search for good deals, followed closely by the allure of free shipping. The survey is based on input from 400 consumers who plan to spend at least some of their budget online this year, Adobe said.
In-store price checking, commonly referred to as "showrooming," will become the norm. Approximately 35% of 18- to 34-year-olds already leverage mobile devices to compare prices while in stores, well above the 22% average, Adobe said.
Don't forget the growing significance of mobile-optimized shopping experiences as well as consumers taking to social media before making their purchase decision.
"Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday and Cyber Monday will all enjoy record online sales," said Brad Rencher, Adobe's senior vice president of digital marketing. "Thanksgiving Day sales are projected to surpass $1 billion and could overtake Black Friday within the next five years. The growing importance of Thanksgiving Day, the shortened holiday season and the growing role of mobile and social will make 2013 a very different shopping season than ever before."-- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV