So Hitachi decided to ring the register on 10.9 million shares. Made sense. The stock was at $73 at the time, and the shares priced deliciously in the hole, $6 below that. Again, it was a fabulous opportunity, as Western Digital shares sold at about 8x earnings at that price, and the stock is doing much better than it used to do because of the higher margin change in the mix.
Now, we have a new deal filed Monday night for Carrizo Oil & Gas (CRZO), 3.75 million shares to help finance acquisitions and drilling in the Eagle Ford and Utica shales. Carrizo reported record revenue and record adjusted net income when it filed earnings Monday evening. It also posted an amazing 41% production increase in oil as the company shifts dramatically and successfully away from glutted natural gas.
Now, I am sure people are disappointed that the company is selling stock, because they are always hopeful of takeovers with these smaller independents. But, that said, this is company is on a major growth path. Also, I love equity vs. expensive debt, which is what wildcatters still have to pay.
I say this Carrizo offering will be every bit as successful as were those of Western Digital and Yelp. Best of all, you will be able to get some at a terrific price, at much lower levels than you would otherwise. A third successful secondary is in the offing.At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, had no positions in the securities mentioned. Editor's Note: This article was originally published at 7:25 a.m. EST on Real Money on Nov. 5.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV