A purchase of Discover's payment processing network by Apple or Microsoft is eminently feasible, based on Sakhrani's valuation estimate for the network. Apple reported having $40.6 billion in cash and short-term marketable securities as of Sept. 28, while Microsoft reported $80.7 billion in cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments as of Sept. 30.
Discover's shares returned 37% year-to-date through Monday's close. The shares were down 1% in morning trading, to $51.47.
Interested in more on Discover Financial Services? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.-- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV