"If we assume our premise that offline penetration is important and necessary, we wonder if one of the aspiring wallets might want more control of the network," Sakhrani wrote.
A tech player looking for more control of its mobile payments business could certainly make excellent use of Discover's payment processing networks, and even cut its risk by making partnerships with payment processors unnecessary. A potential buyer could also benefit by keeping competitors from using Discover's network.
The big question for Discover is whether the payment network's value will be considerably higher as the mobile payment space develops, or whether this is the ideal time to sell. "The argument could be made that you can scale that network significantly more than they have," Sakhrani says, however. "the strategy they have embarked on hasn't materialized -- maybe someone else can take that strategy further."When asked if Discover could still achieve its high double-digit ROE without the payment processing network, Sakhrani says "A big part of their profitability comes from their lending businesses, so probably. The idea over time as they grow out this business is that they should enhance the returns. To the extent they do something with the excess capital, that could be accretive as well." In addition to the three companies above, Sakhrani believes Apple (AAPL) could be a potential buyer, as could Microsoft (MSFT). "Neither they
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV