GRPN is down $0.07 to $10.50 today, but up 116% year-to-date. Meanwhile, bearish three-way spreads were opened on the stock Monday. The focus was on the Weekly options that expire on November 8. In afternoon trading, an investor was selling 7,900 Weekly 12 calls on GRPN at $0.25, buying 7,900 Weekly 10 puts for $0.49, and selling 7,900 Weekly 9 puts at $0.14. In other words, 12 calls were sold to buy 9 - 10 put spreads. The investor paid $0.10 for the package, 7,900X.
The bearish three-way spread in the Weekly options on GRPN traded 16,000X on Monday and today's open interest data confirm that new positions were being opened. If so, the investor sees limited upside for GRPN and is writing upside 12 calls that expire at the end of the week. At the same time, they are buying 9 - 10 put spreads for downside exposure through the earnings report. The potential profit is $1 (minus the $0.10 paid for the spread) if shares fall to $9, or less, through the end of this week. There is additional upside risk if GRPN rallies to beyond $12.
A shareholder possibly initiated the big three-way spreads in GRPN to hedge the earnings risk and, if so, they are stating that they're willing to sell the stock for $12, or have it "called away" at the call option strike. The put spread serves as a hedge or protective strategy. Indeed, the stock is sometimes a big earnings mover. The average daily post-earnings move over the past four quarters is 16.3%, including a 21.6% jump on August 8, 2013. Analysts expect the company to post a quarterly profit of $0.02 per share, compared to $0.00per share a year ago.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Henry can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionAlert
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV