LONDON and ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) announced today that University Hospitals of Leicester ( UHL), one of the biggest National Health Service trusts in the United Kingdom, deployed an integrated desktop virtualization (VDI) solution to increase the performance of the centralized desktops for more than 14,000 doctors, nurses and administrative staff.
Experiencing declining desktop virtualization performance, an aging fleet of PCs and increasing infrastructure management costs, UHL relied upon IBM Business Partners Atlantis Computing™ and Centralis with IBM to design and implement a new IT infrastructure based on IBM PureFlex Systems and Atlantis ILIO storage optimization software. UHL also chose the VMware Horizon™ Suite to further transform its desktop computing environment.
The integrated implementation is currently in the first phase of deployment and has already reduced UHL's capital expenditures (CAPEX) cost per desktop by 50 percent. System boot-up time is now under five seconds, compared to the previous 15 minutes. Log-in time has been reduced to less than 10 seconds. Both improvements are helping to increase staff productivity and allowing UHL's doctors and nurses to see more patients and spending more time with patients while providing better care. UHL estimates it will save millions of pounds in operational, management and data center costs over the lifetime of the project."In addition to significantly cutting our operational costs, the improved security and centralized control of our desktop transformation allows us to more easily prove compliance with National Health Service governance directives," said Dave Rose, Head of Design authority, UHL. "Furthermore, the improved performance realized with our new desktop virtualization implementation is allowing our doctors to spend less time waiting to access their devices and more time with their patients, thus improving the care we provide." The UHL VDI solution consists of:
- Atlantis ILIO Diskless VDI™ software to allow the use of local server RAM as storage for the virtual desktops, dramatically lowering cost and improving desktop performance;
- IBM PureFlex System to combine compute, storage and management into a single infrastructure to optimize and automate the deployment and maintenance of workloads;
- VMware Horizon View™ stateless and persistent virtual desktops to provide the security and control of centralized desktops and deliver increased performance and simplified management; VMware Horizon Mirage™ to centrally manage physical desktops used by junior clinicians; and VMware Horizon Workspace™ to provide secure access to and control of data on any device while reducing infrastructure management costs.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts