Telefónica Global Solutions, the Multinational, Wholesale and Roaming global business of Telefónica (NYSE: TEF) and Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, have deployed Ciena’s 100G coherent optical transport technology on Telefónica´s SAm-1 submarine and terrestrial network, which connects the U.S. to Latin America. With Ciena’s converged packet optical and GeoMesh solution, Telefónica Global Solutions is able to support growing and unpredictable international customer demand for premium bandwidth services like cloud computing, video, and advanced business collaboration services.
- The SAm-1 network is the largest fiber optics submarine system connecting the U.S. with Central and South America, with landing stations in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Peru, and the U.S., including Florida and Puerto Rico. The network delivers more than 2 Tbps of data traffic daily at times of peak demand and transports more than 20 billion international voice minutes a year. It provides value added services for multinational and carrier customers, permanently maintaining an activated IP capacity that exceeds a total of 6 Tbps.
- Telefónica Global Solutions deployed Ciena’s 5400 Reconfigurable Switching System and 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, powered by WaveLogic 3 100G Coherent Optical Processors, including advanced ROADM features and GeoMesh optical bypass, to support its 25,000 km submarine and terrestrial network. The 5400 equipped with coherent optical processors provides 100G services across multiple network links, including a 6,700 km submarine network link that connects Boca Raton, Florida to Fortaleza in Brazil; and a 2,100 km unregenerated terrestrial network link that connects Buenos Aires in Argentina to Valparaiso in Chile, reducing network latency and complexity. The 5400 improves intelligent traffic management and bandwidth availability with 3.6T of switching capacity in eight of the Telefónica Global Solutions´ Central and South America landing stations, and 7.2T of switching capacity in the U.S. landing stations.
- Telefónica is also leveraging Ciena’s OneControl Unified Management System that provides multi-layer service management capabilities to enable streamlined service activation, fault management and performance monitoring. Ciena is also providing consulting services, network engineering, project management, NOC contingency service, and First Line Maintenance services via its Specialist Services portfolio.
- In addition, by applying Ciena’s OPn architecture approach for creating programmable network infrastructures that deliver much lower cost-at-scale and allow network operators to better monetize their networks, the expanded TGS network has the ability to automatically adapt to changing conditions and network demands. This also makes it possible to safely and easily add 100G services to its existing cables as needs arise.
- This deployment builds upon a long-standing relationship between Ciena and Telefónica Global Solutions. Ciena’s converged packet optical technology is leveraged by Telefónica in 14 countries.
- “Ciena’s GeoMesh solution incorporates 100G coherent optical, intelligent OTN switching, and unique optical bypass technologies, which give our SAm-1 network better scale and bandwidth flexibility to meet current and future customer requirements. Further, we are now in a better position to offer international bandwidth services at competitive prices, enhanced quality and to meet projected capacity needs in the region.”- Alejandro Martinez-Rosillo, Chief Technology Officer and Infrastructure Director, Telefónica Global Solutions
- “Our GeoMesh solution incorporates an all-optical network design to connect submarine and terrestrial segments into a single seamless link with intelligent switching for service agility and increased availability. This comprehensive deployment, which spans land and sea, demonstrates Telefónica’s strong commitment to boosting bandwidth availability and high-speed data transport for its customers throughout the U.S., Central and South America.”- Gary Smith, President and CEO, Ciena
About Telefónica Global SolutionsTelefónica Global Solutions manages globally the multinational, wholesale and roaming business within the Telefónica Group. Global Solutions delivers integrated fixed, mobile and IT services to some of the world's top multinationals and corporations. It also provides global telecommunication services for fixed and mobile carriers, ISPs and content providers. Telefónica Global Solutions develops an integrated and competitive portfolio for carriers and corporations that include international voice, IP, bandwidth capacity, satellite services, mobility and global solutions, with service reach in more than 170 countries. Global Solutions is a multicultural organization, with more than 1400 employees, working in over 40 countries and speaking more than 15 languages. www.telefonica.com www.globalsolutions.telefonica.com About Ciena Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with OP n, its approach for building open next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/company/ciena. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. Note to Ciena Investors Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on September 11, 2013. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.