This Day On The Street
Continue to site right-arrow
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here
TheStreet Open House

Textainer Group Holdings Limited Reports Third Quarter 2013 Results And Declares Quarterly Dividend

Stocks in this article: TGH

Textainer Group Holdings Limited (NYSE: TGH) (“Textainer”, “the Company”, “we” and “our”), the world’s largest lessor of intermodal containers based on fleet size, reported third quarter 2013 results.

“Our underlying business fundamentals were solid, as we achieved more than 8 percent growth in revenue and EBITDA compared to the year ago quarter. Most notably, lease rental income grew by 21 percent to $118 million compared to the year ago quarter. Our net income was negatively affected, however, by the need to reserve for certain uncollectable accounts receivable and an impairment that we recorded on certain unrecoverable containers,” commented Philip K. Brewer, President and Chief Executive Officer of Textainer.

“Historically, when a lessee defaults, we recover more than 90 percent of our containers, with about 80 percent coming back within 6 months from the start of recovery efforts and the remaining 10 to 20 percent recovered in the subsequent 6 to 12 months. Currently, for certain smaller lessees in default, we believe recoveries may not follow this pattern as these containers are in areas of China where recovery is often not economical. We recorded a $4.7 million impairment for these containers in the third quarter. This impairment applies to a limited group of smaller shipping lines that account for less than 0.5 percent of our fleet. Most of these lessees were acquired through earlier fleet acquisitions. We do not expect similar losses with any of our large lessees,” continued Mr. Brewer. “The third quarter also included bad debt expense above our normal run rate primarily related to recovery costs for a previously identified customer that filed for bankruptcy. Container recoveries from this customer are over 95% percent, consistent with historical recovery experience. Our DSO has improved significantly year over year and we expect our normalized bad debt run-rate to trend around 0.5 to 1 percent of revenue.”

1 of 9

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
Try it NOW

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Dividend Stock Advisor

Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Options Profits

Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • Actionable options commentary and news
  • Real-time trading community
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
To begin commenting right away, you can log in below using your Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, OpenID or Yahoo login credentials. Alternatively, you can post a comment as a "guest" just by entering an email address. Your use of the commenting tool is subject to multiple terms of service/use and privacy policies - see here for more details.
Submit an article to us!

Markets

DOW 17,164.95 -251.90 -1.45%
S&P 500 1,994.99 -26.26 -1.30%
NASDAQ 4,635.24 -48.1670 -1.03%

Partners Compare Online Brokers

Free Reports

Free Newsletters from TheStreet

My Subscriptions:

After the Bell

Before the Bell

Booyah! Newsletter

Midday Bell

TheStreet Top 10 Stories

Winners & Losers

Register for Newsletters
Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs