LOUISVILLE, Colo., Nov. 5, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- RGS Energy, the commercial and utility division of Real Goods Solar, Inc. (Nasdaq:RSOL), has been selected by Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District (AC Transit) to deploy a 425 kilowatt (kW) elevated solar power plant at its Hayward D6 Bus Facility in Hayward, California.
RGS Energy will design, install, monitor and maintain the solar power plant at the Hayward Bus Facility. The project involves the installation of a 14-foot high, 22,000-square-foot solar bus-port canopy. The canopy will be capable of generating more than 15 million kWh over the next 25 years. Construction is scheduled to begin by the end of the year and be completed by March 2014.
By harnessing energy from the sun, AC Transit expects to reduce the facility's cost of electricity by at least $40,000 in the first year. This is expected to add up to more than $1 million over the next 25 years, while eliminating more than 24 million pounds of carbon dioxide emissions or the equivalent of taking more than 2,340 cars off the road (per EPA-based data).The solar project is funded by a grant awarded to AC Transit in 2010 by the Transit Investments for Greenhouse Gas and Energy Reduction (TIGGER) Program, which is managed by the Federal Transit Administration's Office of Research, Demonstration and Innovation. "AC Transit has taken significant steps over the past few years to reduce its environmental impact associated with facility energy use," said Dennis W. Butler, AC Transit's chief planning and development officer. "This new solar power plant will drastically reduce our Hayward facility's grid-sourced energy consumption as well as substantially lower our operating costs. We selected RGS Energy given the complex engineering and construction required of the project, which we believe RGS Energy has the necessary experience to effectively deploy."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV