The Teaneck, N.J.-based firm reported revenue of $2.31 billion, a 21.9% hike on the prior year's quarter and above Wall Street's estimate of $2.26 billion. Excluding items, Cognizant earned $1.13 a share, up from 98 cents a share in the same period last year. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for earnings of $1.01 a share.
Cognizant shares, which have gained more than 18% over the last three months, rose 2.49% to $89.01 in pre-market trading.
"Our performance during the quarter was stronger than anticipated due to a faster ramp up in demand for outsourcing services and strong discretionary spend on consulting and technology services," said Gordon Coburn, Cognizant's president, in a statement.With demand for its services increasing, Cognizant raised its full-year guidance to at least $8.84 billion from its prior forecast of $8.74 billion. Analysts surveyed by Yahoo! Finance are looking for sales of $8.76 billion. The outsourcer also hiked its earnings projection to $4.37 a share, compared to its prior forecast of $4.32 a share. Wall Street is looking for earnings of $3.98 a share. The company increased its total cash and short-term investments by $460 million to $3.4 billion. --Written by James Rogers in New York Follow @jamesjrogers >Contact by Email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV