Today, Citrix released the Citrix Mobile Analytics Report for the fourth quarter of 2013. The Mobile Analytics report provides insight into mobile data subscriber usage patterns and the impact of this behavior on operators’ networks. Key findings from this quarter’s report include:
- Instagram vs. Vine: Which Drives More Network Traffic?
In January 2013, Twitter released Vine, a social video sharing platform that enables 6-second video clips. In June 2013, photo sharing platform Instagram responded by offering 15-second videos, which have quickly grown to represent between 15 and 30 percent of all Instagram data traffic on mobile networks. The latest Mobile Analytics Report examines Instagram video and Vine traffic, revealing that the average Instagram video is 1.8 times larger than the average Vine video. When it comes to overall mobile data volume, for the moment Instagram video has the lead, generating six times more mobile traffic than Vine.
- Three Apps Generate the Majority of Android Traffic
When it comes to the top mobile apps on Android, three apps – Media Player, Mobile Browser and Google Play -- generate 83 percent of mobile data volume on Android devices with Media Player accounting for more than half. This is comparable to the 82 percent of data volume associated with the top four apps on iOS devices – Media Player, Safari, App Store, and Facebook – as reported in the second-quarter 2013 Mobile Analytics Report. With one percent of data traffic and three percent of transactions, Facebook generates substantially less traffic on Android devices than on iOS devices. Similarly, eBay did not cross the one percent transaction threshold on Android devices, as it did on iOS devices.
- Impact of Advertising on Mobile Networks
Over the past two years, the Mobile Analytics Reports have analyzed over 150 mobile ad networks worldwide. With the proliferation of smartphones and tablets, mobile advertising has seen significant growth and today accounts for 1.6 percent of iOS data traffic and 2.2 percent of Android mobile data traffic, an increase from one and two percent, respectively, as reported in Q1 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV