Today's Post-Market Loser: Newfield Exploration Company (NFX)
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Newfield Exploration Company (NFX) as a post-market laggard candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Newfield Exploration Company as such a stock due to the following factors:
- NFX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $84.6 million.
- NFX is down 4.7% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in NFX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for NFX NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on NFX: Newfield Exploration Company, an independent energy company, engages in the exploration, development, and production of crude oil, natural gas, and natural gas liquids. Its areas of operation include the Mid-Continent, the Rocky Mountains, and onshore Gulf Coast, as well as Malaysia and China. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate Newfield Exploration Company a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 8 rate it a hold.The average volume for Newfield Exploration Company has been 2.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Newfield has a market cap of $4.1 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 1.35 and a short float of 5.9% with 2.47 days to cover. Shares are up 13.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Newfield Exploration Company as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and deteriorating net income.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.13 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. To add to this, NFX has a quick ratio of 0.54, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $251.00 million or 30.85% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has decreased by 17.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $135.00 million to $111.00 million.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- You can view the full Newfield Exploration Company Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV