Lawmakers Push For More Aid For Mass. Fishermen
BOSTON (AP) a¿¿ U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren is joining other Massachusetts elected officials in pressing for more relief for the state's fishing industry, which she said has been harmed by catch limits imposed by the federal government.
"It's not a disaster because the fishermen did anything wrong it's a disaster because they followed exactly what the government asked them to do," Warren said.
Warren also said she's not comfortable with the science that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has relied on to set catch limits.
Warren made her comments following a hearing at the Statehouse on Monday. She was joined by fellow U.S. Sen. Edward Markey, other elected officials and industry representatives.New England fishermen say the industry faces collapse because of the limits, which reduce the cod catch to just a fraction of its historical totals. The catch reductions that went into effect May 1 include a 78 percent year-to-year reduction in quota on cod in the Gulf of Maine and 55 percent on yellowtail flounder in the Gulf of Maine and Cape Cod. Last week the federal Small Business Administration announced it would provide disaster loans to fishermen and Warren said she's hopeful the aid can survive budget negotiations in Washington. In September, Gov. Deval Patrick officially certified that Massachusetts fishermen who chase bottom-dwelling groundfish had suffered "substantial economic injury." The Statehouse session comes as Congress weighs the reauthorization of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, the law that regulates fishing in the United States. U.S. Sen. Begich, an Alaska Democrat and chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard also attended the session.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV