GM reported a better-than-expected third-quarter profit last Wednesday Oct. 30, but compared to Ford's third-quarter numbers, GM was trumped.
Ford reported on Oct. 24, that the company delivered record third-quarter 2013 pretax profit of $2.6 billion, reflecting continued strong performance in North America and a combined profit from the regions outside North America. In addition, the company's financial arm, Ford Credit, remained solidly profitable.
Total company third-quarter pretax profit of $2.6 billion was $426 million higher than a year ago. Third-quarter earnings per share of 45 cents was 5 cents per share higher than a year ago.By comparison, GM's third-quarter net income attributable to common shareholders declined to $757 million, or 45 cents a share compared to $1.48 billion, or 89 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. "Ford's record results in the third quarter show the strength of our One Ford plan around the world," said Alan Mulally, Ford president and CEO. "Working together, we remain committed to serving customers in all markets with a full family of vehicles, offering the very best quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart design and value." Below is a 5-year price chart of Ford's stock and I've included its improving quarterly revenue per share. F data by YCharts
Ford has a lot to celebrate so far in 2013, including its top-line growth with wholesale volume and total company revenue up 16% and 12%, respectively, compared with a year ago. These are very impressive results. Its growth was supported by year-over-year market share gains in all regions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV