MOORESTOWN, N.J., Nov. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT), the U.S. Navy and the Missile Defense Agency celebrated the official "light off" of the Aegis Ashore system for Romania on Oct. 24., representing the system's operational readiness. This system, along with its re-locatable deckhouse, will be deployed to Romania in 2015 as part of the administration's European Phased Adaptive Approach for ballistic missile defense (BMD). The team will be conducting full acceptance testing before shipments to Romania begin next year.
The ceremony marked the second system "light off" in less than six months for the joint team. The first Aegis Ashore system is preparing for its first live test next year at the Navy's Pacific Missile Range Facility in Hawaii.
Aegis Ashore, which uses the newest generation of BMD, known as BMD 5.0, is an evolution of proven sea-based Aegis BMD capabilities and uses innovative adaptations for a land-based environment.Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin is a global security and aerospace company that employs about 116,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration, and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products, and services. The Corporation's net sales for 2012 were $47.2 billion. For additional information, visit our website: www.lockheedmartin.com SOURCE Lockheed Martin
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV