Red Sox Beards Come Off For Gillette Promotion
By KEN POWTAK
BOSTON (AP) a¿¿ World Series MVP David Ortiz and Boston Red Sox teammate Shane Victorino had their beards shaved for charity Monday to benefit victims of the Boston Marathon bombings in April.
The "shave offs" occurred at Gillette's world headquarters. The Boston company donated $100,000 to the One Fund, which is assisting victims and their families of the bombings on April 15. Three people were killed and over 260 injured near the finish line that day.
Ortiz, fresh off his third World Series title with the Red Sox, joked that it's a perfect look for his offseason."I'm going down south a¿¿ some place warm," he said. "I feel fresh. I've got to keep it real. It's not that cold down there." Sitting in one of two barber's chairs to Ortiz's right, Victorino appeared a bit shocked when he looked into a hand-held mirror and realized his beard and goatee were completely gone. "I'm a World Series champion and I look like I'm 12-years old," he said. Ortiz had his most of his beard shaved off, leaving only a goatee. "He's a three-time champ and I'm a two-time champ, and he's a little more tenured in the city than I am," Victorino said. "It's different look for me and something I'm definitely not accustomed to." But he did find another reason to enjoy his fresh look. "My kids will be excited," he said. "I don't know if they're going to recognize me when I walk in the door. My daughter was tugging on it last night and said, 'When are you going to shave it?' I didn't want to let the secret out. She was still sleeping when I left this morning." Ortiz couldn't resist teasing his now fresh-faced teammate. "He looks like he's in fifth grade. You going back to school?" Big Papi said. "Mine will grow very fast. I don't think I'll have any problems letting it grow. I don't know about this guy."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV